16 Year Old Ends Up in Intensive Care Unit As A Result of Trying to Treat Lice Herself

A 16-year-old girl recently ended up in the intensive care unit as a result of trying to treat her head lice infestation by herself. A friend told her to put gasoline on her hair to kill the bugs. She took gasoline from her family’s heating unit and dumped it on her head. In doing so, her hair ignited. Her father, hearing his daughter’s screams, attempted to put out the flames with a towel. He is in the same hospital with severe burns to his hands.
How can a horrific tragedy like this occur?  Though head lice are not dangerous and do not spread disease, or result in any long-term medical issues, the stigma associated with an infestation may lead people to desperate measures.  Prior to deciding to come to us, our clients relay all sorts of ways they have attempted to manage their infestations before seeking definitive, professional care. From kerosene to mayonnaise and a plastic bag, we have heard it all!Tragedies like the one from the news this week can be avoided. Please do not panic if you, or someone you know, or love has a head lice infestation. An infestation has nothing to do with personal hygiene or the cleanliness of your home or school. Take a moment to collect yourself. Before taking matters into your own hands, be sure to research all your options. There are treatments available that are both safe and effective. Our clinics can get you lice free in about 1 hour. Safe. Fast. Effective.